Abbey Dore: Holy Trinity & St Mary, Abbeydore
Pages and Links
Our Other Churches
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
Dore Abbey stands in a beautiful part of Herefordshire’s Golden Valley. The present Church was once the chancel, crossing and transepts of the medieval Cistercian monastery whose domestic buildings and chapter house can still be traced. The cloister garden is a lovely place to sit to enjoy the tranquillity of the site. The white robed monks first came here in 1147 and their skill in gardening is commemorated in the stylised foliage of the capitals. By the 13th-14th centuries the wool from Dore’s sheep was the best quality in Europe, fetching the highest prices and selling as far away as Italy. The profit paid for the Church to be enlarged, decorated and re-painted. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries by King Henry VIII, the building was saved from total destruction and was restored in the 1630s by John, Viscount Scudamore. It is a rare, surviving example of a Laudian Church. Among the many points to note are the lovely bosses, saved from the medieval roof because the King’s Commissioners were sympathetic, the original altar top, the carved screen, the newly restored stained glass and the wall texts. More information can be found in the attractive, illustrated Guidebook which is on sale in the Abbey. Guided tours can be arranged.
The six bells were originally cast in 1710/1712 by the first Abraham Rudhall at his Gloucester foundry.
Four were recast: the treble by Thomas Rudhall in 1770, the tenor by Charles and John Rudhall in 1782, the fourth by Thomas Rudhall in 1810, and the second by Llewellins and James in Bristol in 1892.
Please note: at the present time the bells can not be rung as repairs are taking place to bells and bell frame.
Facilities: accessible toilets available in summer months.
See also: The Definitive History of Dore Abbey edited by Ron Shoesmith and Ruth E. Richardson; the fifteen contributors cover all aspects of the Abbey in a readable and interesting book - available from the Treasurer of The Friends of Dore Abbey, £14.95+p.p.
See: www.blancheparry.com for more information about the history of the Cistercian Abbey and the Laudian Church.
The Interactive tour of Dore Abbey, with information on the history of the Abbey, can still be accessed, see below.
The Newsletter of The Friends of Dore Abbey has further information on Church Services and Events - see also their web site below.
Our usual Church Services are:
2nd Sunday - 10.00 am Holy Communion CW Order One Traditional
4th Sunday - 10.00 am Holy Communion 1662
1st Wednesday of the month - 4 pm in summer, 3 pm in winter, Evensong.
We host the Group’s 5th Sunday Holy Communion Service on a rota basis.
We also have special Services, several connected with our Events – see our web site.
You are most welcome to join us.
We can't display parish boundaries on this page at the moment. View the map with boundary in Google Maps
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
- Regular Services
The current editor is: R.E. Richardson