Saint Paul, Burton on Trent
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
The grace and peace of God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
Welcome to St Paul's online. It would be wonderful to see you in person!
This magnificent church in Saint Paul's Square is next to the Town Hall, a short walk from Burton-on-Trent railway station. The tower is one of the tallest buildings in the town, and clearly visible to travellers on the passing A38 trunk road and the railway. Burton, in the English County of Staffordshire, is Britain's brewing capital, and legend has it that the first Lord Burton of the Bass brewing family, who built Saint Paul's, hoped the church would become a cathedral when Burton was made a city. It never happened.
Today we are a small, family-oriented congregation in the Catholic tradition of the Church of England. That means the principal form of worship is the Mass (Eucharist or Holy Communion) celebrated with traditional ceremonial and music. In addition to regular services there are periodic social events and special courses, and the hall provides a home for a variety of community programmes. The church is normally open for visitors Mondays to Fridays between 12 noon and 2 pm as well as for regular services on Sundays at 0930, Tuesdays at 0930 and Fridays at 1230.
Since 1 November 2005, Saint Paul’s has been part of the parish of Saint Aidan and Saint Paul, formed by the merger of Saint Paul’s with the former parish of Saint Aidan, Shobnall. The church is served by the Vicar, Fr Stanley Monkhouse, also Vicar of Saint Modwen's, the Parish Church of Burton, with the assistance of Fr Pete Orton amd Fr Phillip Jefferies.
Christening and Marriage enquiries
Contact the Vicar through this website or in person. Come to the Vicarage any Tuesday between 1700 and 1900 without appointment, or make an appointment for another time. For marriages, you normally need to live in the parish, or have a qualifying connexion with one of the churches (see the Church of England weddings website).
Historic records for Saint Paul's have been deposited at Staffordshire Record Office, where they are available for consultation by the public. These consist of the parish registers of baptisms 1874-1967, marriages 1874-1977 and banns of marriage 1892-1946 and 1973-1983. More recent records remain with the church. Please contact the record office in the first instance about records from these periods.
St Paul's was designed by J M Teale of Doncaster and E B Denison, later Lord Grimthorpe. It is a cruciform building in the Geometrical Gothic style with a three bay chancel with aisles, a five bay nave with aisles, north and south transepts and a square central tower. The central tower of 123 feet houses a ring of ten bells.
Between 1889 and 1901 the chancel and south transept were enriched by George Frederick Bodley who did much work in the area (notably Hoar Cross and St Chad's Burton). He oversaw the adaptation of the south chancel aisle for use as a chapel; two years later an external sacristy was added on the north side and an internal porch added to the south transept door. The chancel and sanctuary roof were painted to Bodley's design, and a canopy was added to the original large circular stone pulpit. The organ cases, one in the chancel and one high in the south transept, are both by Bodley. The chancel floor was relaid with red and white marble. The original reredos (now in St Christopher's, Ellistown) was replaced by one designed by Robert Bridgeman that depicted the Crucifixion in a central panel of red shawk stone surrounded by the saints.
A western narthex was added in 1910 as a memorial to Baron Burton, who had died the previous year. A calvary war memorial was erected in the churchyard in 1920 and a bishop's chair of stone was built into the sanctuary wall in 1931. The two west bays of the nave and the narthex were converted into a church hall in 1979 and at the same time several items were added from the former chapel of ease of St Margaret, including a wooden lectern by Morris and Co, a painting of the Crucifixion which was placed by the south door, and statues of Alpha and Omega which were added to the south chancel aisle chapel.
The church is a wonderful example of our Victorian ecclesiastical heritage, and an ideal setting for richly ordered worship.
In 1894-5 the original three manual organ by William Hill & Sons of London was replaced by a four manual organ, one of the first to be built by the Hope-Jones Electric Organ Company Ltd. The Hope-Jones organ was itself replaced in 1985 when parts were removed to the Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust's museum in Manchester. The Hill organ was moved to Trinity Methodist Church, in George Street in 1896, and then in 2012 to Sankt-Afra-Kirche in the Berlin suburb of Gesundbrunnen.
The church now contains an organ formerly in Central Methodist Church, Chesterfield. It is in the north chancel aisle and its specification can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register. The south transept organ case is now empty apart from a few large pipes from earlier instruments.
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
Burton upon Trent
- Regular Services
The current editor is: Stanley Monkhouse