St Andrew, Epworth
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
St Andrew's Epworth is a C15 Perpendicular style Church developed from an earlier C13 church.There are traces of this earlier building and it could well be that there was a church here in Saxon times. It is best known for the fact that Samuel Wesley was Rector from 1695 to 1735 and his sons John and Charles were born and brought up in Epworth. It is therefore seen as the Birthplace of Methodism; the Wesley children were baptised in the font and probably received their first Communion from the C17 chalice which is still used on special occasions. John Wesley assisted his father as curate in the 1720's and after Samuel's death he famously preached from his father's tomb which can be seen just outside the south door.
An extensive programme of restoration has taken ten years and was completed in 2009. A major re-ordering of the inside of the church was completed in summer 2013 resulting in the re-siting of the font and the provision of a meeting room and enhanced facilities for both visitors and worshippers. Funding was received from Heritage Lottery Fund and other bodies to enable us to carry out this work which has enhanced the Church's role as a Heritage Centre. As a result of this we were nomonated for an English Heritage Angel award in 2013.
St Andrew's welcomes visitors and pilgrims from many parts of the world, often drawn to the Methodist connection. The Old Rectory where Samuel and Susanna Wesley brought up their family was rebuilt after a notorious fire in 1709 and was sold to the World Methodist Council in 1955. It is now a museum and heritage centre and is situated a short walk from St Andrew's Church
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
16 Belton Road
- Special Events
- Regular Services
Wheelchair accessible toilets
(Hymn Books / Orders of Service etc.)
Assistance dogs (eg guide dogs, hearing dogs, dogs for the disabled) welcome
|St Andrews is open to visitors 2pm-4pm 1 March to 31 October.|
The current editor is: Ian Walker