St Clement, Hastings
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
St Clements Church is one of two ancient churches (the other is All Saints Church) that form the Old Town Parish of Hastings. St Clements can trace it's origins back to 1080 AD although it was ravaged by the French in 1339 and again in 1377 and was rebuilt in 1380.
It has many interesting features including a 15th century font depicting the Passion of Christ and two magnificent chandeliers - one of which was presented by the Hastings Barons of the Cinque Ports who raised the funds for the purchase by selling the canopy and silver staves held above George 111 at his coronation in 1761. The other chandelier was purchased by the Townsmen of Hastings.
St Clements has two beautiful East End stained glass windows - the work of Philip Cole which replaced the original windows which were blown out by bomb blast in the Second World War when a German bomb demolished the Old Swann Inn in the High Street dating back to 1309.
Dante Gabriel Rossetti, poet and artist, married Elizabeth Siddall in St Clements in 1860.
Today, St Clements forms one Parish with All Saints and both churches are used on a rotating basis.
We offer a warm welcome to all visitors at our Parish Eucharist each Sunday. Please come and join us as we celebrate worshipping in the recently renovated and re-ordered church due to the generosity of one of our former parishoners, Barbara Jordan, who was a committed Christian and worshipped regularly in the Old Town until her death in 2006. We use Common Worship and describe ourselves as moderately catholic in our worship.
Currently, all main services are held in St Clements until the end of January 2018 - returning to All Saints on 04 February 2018.
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
- Special Events
- Regular Services
The current editor is: Malcolm Lock