St Philip, Hove
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
St Philip's Church is situated in New Church Road, Hove (on the corner of Richardson Road, Hove). It is one of two churches in the Parish of Aldrington, the other being St Leonard's, about a mile to the west on New Church Road.
St Philip's is a red brick, flint and portland stone Arts and Crafts style church built on land donated to the Parish by The Duke of Portland to accomodate the rapidly increasing population of West Hove in the early 20th century. On 9 November 1894 the foundation stone was laid by Bishop Durnford, the first part of the Church (chancel, chapel and south porch with two eastern bays of the nave which was approximately half the church) opened for Divine Service on 28 October 1895, and the Church was completed by about 1910. The building is typical of the architect J. Oldrid Scott who aimed at a polychromatic effect by the use of chequers of stone, flint and brick.
In the 1950s it was realised that the west end of the church had never been consecrated (Bishop Durnford died en route to a consecration in 1895) and the opportunity was taken to create a church hall, using money from the sale of half the Vicarage garden. The mural at the rear of the Church was painted by Mr Augustus Lunn on the new west wall. The title is The Sussex Benedicite. The background is the Sussex countryside with Chanctonbury Ring to the upper left hand side. The mural includes Chichester Cathedral, a Sussex downland church, St Richard, the Patron Saint of Sussex, a chalk pit, local traditional industries including fishing, sheep farming, forestry and market gardening along with a more modern factory. The mural also commemorates "friends and comrades who fell in battle in the cause of freedom" in the Second World War. When originally painted in 1957 it was the largest mural in any Church in Sussex. Mr. Lunn, a pupil of Hans Friebusch, was also responsible for some of the mural paintings at The Festival of Britain. The Church Hall was totally refurbished in 2009 and we have access and facilities for the disabled in both Church and Hall.
Since 2010 St Philip's has been part of the Parish of Aldrington which replaced the Group Benefice set up in 1989.
With St Leonard's we share a relaxed and liberal traditional form of worship. We are proud to consider ourselves inclusive, and we welcome everyone regardless of gender, sexuality, age, ethnicity, ability, and political opinions. Both spaces are widely used by many different community and commercial groups, and by the congregation for fundraising and social events, which are advertised on our notice boards and in the local press. There is a virtual tour of the Church on Google streetview. Please contact Mrs Annette Conkleton on 07808 154203 or [email protected] for all booking enquiries.
Should you wish to contact us on any other matter please ring the Rector, Stephen Terry, on 01273 737915, or email [email protected]
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
77 New Church Road
- Regular Services
The current editor is: Stephen Terry