St Nicholas, Lincoln
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
Built at two levels, up-hill and down-hill, Lincoln is a delightful city with a rich and full cultural life. Within easy walking distance of St. Nicholas is the cathedral, theatres, cinemas, museums, art gallery, a wide variety of shops and restaurants and the open countryside. There is a well equipped leisure centre with swimming pool quite neat to the church.
The ancient suburb of Newport was just outside the old city walls. It had its own market and the first St. Nicholas Church probably dates from that time. There were two churches on Newport originally, St. Nicholas and St. John. Over the centuries both buildings fell into disrepair, decay and ruin. For well over one hundred years there was no church building in the parish. Parish business was conducted in one of the local pubs. During the 1830’s Newport was considered to be rather a rough suburb and it was felt that the provision of a church would be a civilising influence. Land was given and a competition held for the design. The winner was George Gilbert Scott. St. Nicholas was his first church, up until then having designed workhouses. The church, which is a Grade 2 listed building was built in 1840. The north and south aisles were added later, as funds permitted. The chancel was added in 1909, creating a light and airy space for worship with fine acoustics.
The church family comprises a number of congregations. There are those who like quiet, formal worship. Others prefer the size and richness of a sung Eucharist. The age range of worshippers is from before birth to late nineties. The choir sings every Sunday at 10.00am and 6.30pm. It is an accomplished choir, successfully tackling some quite challenging music. The choir is affiliated to the Royal School of Church Music and takes an active part in the annual RSCM Festival.
St. Nick’s Nippers began life as a monthly pram service in 2002 for pre-school children, babies and those who care for them. It became so popular that it was decided to have weekly meetings instead and this happened the following year. We meet in church every Thursday morning between 9.30am and 11-30am on a ‘drop in’ basis. All are welcome to come and join us – to play, to worship and to meet friends, old and new, over tea, coffee, juice and biscuits. Baby changing facilities are available.
We have a Brownie Pack which meets during term time. There is a very varied programme on offer. The pack usually spend two nights away each year on Brownie Holiday, and the girls enjoy events with other groups. The most important thing about our Brownies is that they have FUN!
There is also a Women’s Fellowship which meets twice a month offering friendship and fellowship in a relaxed way, and a Mothers’ Union Branch. Military Service Organisations see the church as a spiritual base and there is much contact with Regimental Associations. We also have concerts throughout the year.
We can't display parish boundaries on this page at the moment. View the map with boundary in Google Maps
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
- Regular Services
The current editor is: Arthur Makin