St James, Llangua
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
St James' Llangua is part of the Ewyas Harold Group of Parishes.
The lovely little church of Llangua on the bank of the River Monnow is an important early Celtic Christian site. The name derives from the Llan, or Church, of Saint Ciwa/Kew, the original dedication. There was a 5th century Irish saint of this name but it is also thought that the Saint Kew found in Cornwall was actually born in Llangua in perhaps the 6th century. In c 872 a charter [in the Book of Llandaff] records the church as having sanctuary rights. It stands beside a probable former, well-used trackway leading to the river crossing. In 1183 it became a small Priory cell of the Benedictine Abbey of Lire/Lyre in Normandy. In the late 13th century its mill provided one of the highest incomes of Monmouthshire mills. The surrounding field may preserve trace foundations of further buildings associated with its long history. The shaft and base of the medieval cross stand in the small churchyard. Much of the present church dates from the 14th century, with 17th century additions and later repairs. In 1954-1955 it was sympathetically restored by Mr. Ivor Bulmer-Thomas in memory of his first wife. As she had loved the candle-light Services, the church continues to be lit only by candles. Among the points to note are a wooden figure of St James and a 14th century painted oak screen from Whitford in Devon. Although in Monmouthshire, Llangua is in the Church of England, Diocese of Hereford. The Guide on sale in the church provides further information.
The church is open to visitors by arrangement (churchwarden 01981 240242) and has open afternoons with refreshments on May Bank Holiday Mondays and the Sundays in the summer school holidays.
Our usual Church Service (which may alter during the vacancy w.e.f. May 2017) is:
3rd Sunday - 8.45am Holy Communion CW Order One Contemporary (or BCP 1662 three or four times a year).
Our service in December 2017 is a Carol Service (with traditional and contemporary readings) date and time tba. [NB. the church has no electricity and care should be taken parking as it is just off the main A465.]
IN JANUARY AND FEBRUARY THE 3RD SUNDAY SERVICE IS HELD IN CAP HOUSE IN THE VILLAGE.
16th April 2017 - Easter Sunday HC (CW Contemp) at 8.45am.
Fourth Sat in July - Patronal BBQ at 6.30pm. Reflection in Church afterwards c.8.15pm led by Revd Eric Locke.
Fourth Sun in July for 5 or 6 Sundays - St James Llangua Open Afternoon with teas, 2pm to 5pm.
Late Oct/early Nov - HARVEST SUPPER and INFORMAL WORSHIP in Cap House Llangua at 7pm. Date tba.
5th Sundays or Group Services:-
Sun 30th April - Group Communion (CW Trad) at 10am in Dore Abbey with the Abbey Singers (our Rector's last service)
Sun 30th July 2017 - Deanery Eucharist at 10am in Dore Abbey with the English Choral Experience Consort (tbc).
29.10.17 - Deanery Service, details tba.
31.12.17 - 10am Group Communion, details tba.
You are most welcome to join us.
[Please note that nearby Llancillo is now redundant, the parish being combined with Rowlstone. It had an older dedication that pre-dated the dedication to St Peter. It was called Lann Suluiu in the Book of Llandaff where a c.620 charter gave 200 acres to Bishop Ufelfyw. The importance of the site is perhaps the reason a motte-and-bailey stands so near. The Church chancel is late 11th or early 12th century. The cross base outside is medieval. The Church was repaired in the 17th and 19th centuries. Contact Llancillo Court if you wish to visit.]
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
- Regular Services
- Other Events
The current editor is: Barbara Stark