St Mary with St Ethelbert, Luckington
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
Luckington Parish Church is a delightful building located in an idyllic situation on the outskirts of this active village. Worship is offered three times a month and there are good links with the local school.
The church and Luckington Court next door were used in the BBC series of 'Pride and Prejudice'. The church is popular for weddings and we welcome enquiries.
Grade 1 listed church dates back to 12th century. It had alterations and additions made in the 15th century and in 1872 further restorations were undertaken using designs of English architect, Sir Arthur Blomfield.
Architectural points of note:
- 12th century nave arcades resting on Norman columns of crudely carved capitals
- the large Norman font, 27 inches across the bowl and once locked against witches
- ancient stone pulpit, together with other examples of early English architecture
- engravings of the Lord’s Prayer and the Ten Commandments dating from 1663
- Fine stained glass windows
The composer Basil Harwood named his hymn tune to "Let all the world in every corner sing" after the village
The Parochial Church Council of this Church were very grateful to receive a grant from Wiltshire Historic Churches towards replastering and repainting work in the Church which took place in 2015.
The Parochial Church Council of the Church were delighted to be notified of its success in an application for the HLF Listed Place of Worship Roof Repair Fund. The work started on repairing the roofs in May 2017 and due for completion in November 2017.
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
The Priest in Charge is the Rector, Rev Christopher Bryan, Curate is Rev Elveen Mead and Assistant Curate is Rev Susan Harvey
- Regular Services
- Other Events
Designated wider space(s) for people with a disabled parking badge
Assistance dogs (eg guide dogs, hearing dogs, dogs for the disabled) welcome
Alpha and Pilgrim held regularly in benefice
|Church is open 365 days. The Old Royal Ship pub in the village is very welcoming to all visitors. Church is on Macmillan Walking Way, so is a popular stop for walkers|
The current editor is: Katherine Bennett