About the Church

Church of St. Peter 

Parish church. Mid 14th century. Nave demolished 1790 and chancel consolidated and restored. All windows 1870. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Pantile roof. West wall below bell turret 1790 reusing double hollow chamfered west doorway. Above is 15th century tabernacle frieze of 7 panels. Central 3 panels ogeed and cusped. These contain high relief figures. Remainder display shields within cusping. Above is frieze of triangular and circular flushwork. Above again a plaque recording events of 1790 below a 15th century nodding and cusped ogee. Diagonal buttresses to sides. Bell turret is louvred below leaded broach spire. Stepped side buttresses to north and south flanks and 3 Perpendicular 2-light windows. Buttresses with flushwork panels. Wave moulded priests' door on south. Brick saw-toothed eaves cornice. Diagonal east buttresses. Transomed 3-light Perpendicular east window. From south-east corner a covered walk leads to Sunday school building, all of 1870. Interior. King post roof with collars on straight braces. One 15th century  poppyhead bench end. Polygonal 16th century linenfold pulpit with moulded base and top rail. Stands on later box plinth. Excellent 14th century octagonal traceried font, the stem with one 2-light reticulated window motif, ogeed. Bowl with 2 2-light mofits each panel, alternating between reticulated as stem and early Perpendicular lozenge tracery. Cusped and ogeed piscina in chancel with encircled quatrefoils in spandrels, each containing a blank shield.