St Nicholas w St John and St Michael, Newchurch
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
For details of services and events, please visit us on:
Founded in 1511, it is the oldest church in the Rossendale Valley. It was pulled down in 1561 and rebuilt in stone. The church was enlarged in 1753, and pulled down and rebuilt in 1826. In 1898 a Chancel and Sanctuary was added. It has listed 2* status.
It has a peal of 8 bells in working order, and a a team of bellringers, and some amazing glass - Herbert Bryans, Powell & Sons(Whitefriars), Percy Bacon, Mayer & Co -Munich and London.
All the oak woodwork is by Langshaws of Whalley. It has records going back to 1611. During its history it had some very wealthy patrons notably Lettice Jackson from the 16th Century and several Mill Owners, and Coal Owners from the 19th Century. The altar is dedicated to Edward Rostron - founder of the felt industry in Lancashire.
The organ is basically an early Harrison Organ  when Harrison and Harrison of Durham, were based in Rochdale. It has not been played since 1973 when the church purchased an electronic organ - it can be renovated and is in reasonably good condition. At one time it was considered to be the best organ in Lancashire.It was enlarged by Abbot and Smith of Leeds in 1907.
The style of worship is Modern Catholic and major Saint Days are celebrated with an evening Eucharist. The reserved sacrament is to be found in the church and incense is used on Saint days.It owes its catholic liturgy to the Rev'd. Herbert Bury [1891-96] who went on to become the bishop of Honduras, and later the bishop of Northern and Central Europe. Over the years it has produced several priests and bishops, the most recent being bishop Jack Nichols of Sheffield [a former choir boy] who retired in 2008.
In 2011 it will celebrate 500 years of worship on this site with a series of special events which will include Archbishop John Sentamu presiding at a special service, a walking pigrimage to Whalley Abbey from which the church was founded, music and flower festivals.
The church has the tradition of installing a Boy Bishop and May Queen. The church has close links with its local Church of England Voluntary Controlled St Nicholas Primary School.
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
539 Newchurch Road,
- Regular Services
- Other Events