St. Leonards Chapelry, Newland
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
St. Leonard's Chapelry is a private chapel serving the residents of the Beauchamp Community. It is a beautiful church on the outskirts of Malvern, Worcestershire which forms the north-east corner of the Quadrangle of the Beauchamp Community Almshouses.
The Beauchamp Community was commissioned by the Third Earl Beauchamp and completed in 1864 by his family.
As part of a retirement community, the chapel is used frequently by residents and is not open to the public. Please check arrangements before planning a visit by calling the Warden of the Community on 01684 562100
The Chapel is closed to visitors. However, worshippers are welcome to attend the services. These occur at the following times:
8 a.m. Holy Communion
11 a.m. Sung Eucharist
Evensong (as and when arranged)
Details of all other services and social events can be found here and the St. Leonard's web site. http://stleonardsnewland.org Visitors are welcome throughout the week only by appointment. Please telephone the Administrator of the Beauchamp Community (01684 562100) to make arrangements to visit, or come along to one of the services.
The current Chaplain to the Beauchamp Community is The Revd Canon Peter Nokes. There are other retired priests living in the Community who assist as and when they feel they are able. An appreciation of the importance of prayer and the ancient traditions of Christian worship within the Church of England inspires all of our services, from a quiet weekday Communion in the Cloister Chapel to the full splendour of the Sung Eucharist on a Sunday morning. We remain committed to preaching the Word of God and ministering His Sacraments to all who desire them.
As you enter the church
The chapel is entirely decorated in a medium known as spirit fresco to an elaborate scheme – it is indeed a sight to behold. We believe that this is the finest example of the Gambier Parry style of painting in the country.
There are remnants of the former church – the cloister chapel – which is the half-timbered chancel from the old church (fourteenth century) which was used for worship until 1864. It dates from the fourteenth century. There are old pews at the back of the church and the font, which is even older (twelfth century), moved from St. Thomas's church at Great Malvern after the Reformation in 1536.
Music for the Services
The Chapelry Choir, sing at all the main services in the church. The choir are always looking for more singers. We alternate singable settings of the services according to the seasons. Please contact Charles Allsopp, Organist and Choirmaster, for more details. There is a fine little organ, by John Nicholson of Worcester (1864).
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
- Special Events
- Regular Services
Wheelchair accessible toilets
Designated wider space(s) for people with a disabled parking badge
(Hymn Books / Orders of Service etc.)
Assistance dogs (eg guide dogs, hearing dogs, dogs for the disabled) welcome
The current editor is: Charles Allsopp