St Mary's Hayes Middlesex
The Manor House associated with St Mary's Church was assigned to Canterbury Cathedral by the Christian Priest Warherdus in 830 AD.
At the time of the Norman Conquest, Archbishop Lanfranc had contacts with the parish. It is thought that Archbishop (later Saint) Anselm stayed in the Manor House of the parish. The naming of one of our daughter church of St Anselm, in Hayes Town centre, is a commemoration of this event. The other daughter churches were dedicated to Saint Edmund, Saint Jerome and Saint Nicholas. Saint Nicholas was the last became a parish in its own right in 2004. Saint Anselm and Saint Nicholas are commemorated in a dedicated window (1937) in the Baptistry near the North Door.
The interior of the church has many interesting memorials and brasses.The brass to Robert Lellee, Rector somewhere between 1356 and 1375, is purportedly the oldest brass in Middlesex. There are tombs in the church to Walter Grene (1470s), Thomas Higate (1576)and Sir Edward Fenner, Judge of the King's Bench (1611). The latter tomb covers earlier tiling on the wall and floors. Some partly uncovered pre-Reformation wall paintings and a large mural of Saint Christopher with the infant Child are on the North wall.
A brass to Veare Jenyns (1644) relates to the Court of Charles the First; while other Jenyns, who were Lords of the Manor, link with Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough.
Dr Triplett's JMI & NC school is part of our parish. Here is a little of history about the School.
Dr Triplett was born in 1600 and died in 1670. He opened a small school in the area. After his death, money he bequeathed to a charity helped to finance the original school and it was thus named in his honour.
The present building was opened in 1963, helped by further grants. In 1985, two additional classrooms were built, with a third of the money coming from the Diocese and two-thirds from parents. Parents also paid for a further two mobile units accommodating four classrooms, opened in 1993. In 1998, a library was built for the school.
Our Parish Church is St Mary the Virgin and the Rector is always Chairman of the Governors of Dr Triplett's.
The Wesley brothers (the founders of Methodism) preached at Saint Mary's during the Vicarate of their friend Revd. Charles Manning (1738-1756).
The church building has known many changes which include the stealing of the lead from the roof in the 21st century to the removal of a crude wood ladder to the belfry. Throughout it has maintained the teaching of the Faith received from the Apostles and our fathers. We have again had lead stolen and the rain is damaging the 15th Century Wall mural of St Christopher. Learn more about Jesus on this website: http://www.rejesus.co.uk.
Our magazine accepts advertising, contact us for details
For Genealogical Enquiries the local Diocesan Record Office is:
Uxbridge Central Library near the Uxbridge Underground station. Copies of the registers(1573-18300 can also be seen at the London Metropolitain Archives in Islington. See our page about family history and genealogy. WHO DO YOU THINK THEY WERE
For Parish enquiries please contact:
Mr Chris Berridge PCC Vice Chairman
Mrs Sandrajane Stock PCC Treasurer
Mr Michael Garner Churchwarden
Mr Alan Lambert Churchwarden (*)
Churches in our Parish