Strumpshaw and Hassingham with Buckenham
The two villages of Buckenham and Hassingham have been linked together as a combined parish since 1739. Buckenham Church closed in the 1970s and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Hassingham Church therefore serves this joint community and a service is held there once a month. Recently, the parishes were combined with that of Strumpshaw. These are not nucleated villages but a scattered rural community, comprising just under forty dwellings in total. These dwellings are a mixture of local authority, privately owned and a few that belong to Buckenham estate. The owner of the estate does not live in the villages but owns much of the land and woods. The shoot is an important part of the estate's economy and the conservation policies that go hand in hand with the management of the shoot have resulted in an abundance of wildlife. The villages adjoin the river Yare and part of the marshes is managed by the RSPB; it is of national importance as a winter habitat of bean geese. There are no shops or pubs and the only facilities are the church and the village hall. The latter is run by the 'Buckenham and Hassingham Social Club Committee' and financed by fund-raising activities such as jumble sales and coffee mornings, as well as by hiring it out. The Committee are trying to revitalise the hall, which is under-used, by holding a programme of events such as a quiz night and a wine-tasting evening.
Our magazine accepts advertising, contact us for details
Churches in our Parish