Leighton Buzzard is a growing town situated in South Bedfordshire. Mentioned in the Domesday Book, it acquired its curious name in the 11th century when it was transferred into the Lincoln diocese from Dorchester on Thames. The then Dean had two Leightons in his See and added the name of his prebend to each. Our prebend was one Theobold de Busar. So in time Leighton became Leighton Buzzard.
It is linked to five other churches through the Ouzel Valley Team ministry (St Barnabas, Linslade joined in February 2008) and as a group is now one of the largest in the St Albans Diocese.
The church is early English in style dating from 1277,with a substantial spire added about a century later, and is the second church on the site. It is a beautiful building with fine gilded roofs, given by Alice de la Pole, Countess of Suffolk, in the 15th century. Its stained glass is mostly by Kempe and the inside was remodelled by Bodley in late Victorian times to a high standard.
It contains mediaeval ironwork and mediaeval graffiti. It has a fine ring of 12 bells and an organ by Harrison and Harrison of Durham installed after a major fire in 1985.
Leighton Buzzard is on the main rail line from Euston to Birmingham. It is fifteen minutes from the M1 motorway and five minutes from the A5.
There is parking available in the town
Saints Alive Magazine
C/o All Saints Parish Office
Tel: 01525 381418
Our magazine accepts advertising, contact us for details
For Genealogical Enquiries the local Diocesan Record Office is:
For Parish enquiries please contact:
All Saints Parish Office
Beds LU7 1AE
Tel 01525 381418
or for details of the Fabric:
All Saints Preservation Trust
30 Hockliffe Street
Beds LU7 1HJ
Tel 01525 217594
Churches in our Parish