St. Edmund, Chingford
South Chingford is a dormitory suburb in Northeast London - mainly residential though with a small industrial area in the southwest by the river Lea. The main commercial centre is Chingford Mount shops, with smaller parades at Chingford Mount Road and Hall Lane, and larger supermarkets at Salisbury Hall. There are four primary schools within the parish - Ainslie Wood, Chase Lane, Chingford Hall Community, and Larkswood - but no secondary schools.
Historically, the ford across the Lea after which Chingford was named was located within the parish. Until the mid nineteenth century the southern part of Chingford was mainly farmland. There was a gradual build up of housing in the area from the late nineteenth century beginning at Suffield Hatch, but the main development occurred from 1931 when South Chingford ceased to be a rural farming community.
St Edmund's began as a mission hall opened in 1909 for services. This original building still survives as the Ryan Hall.
In 1922, The District of Saint Edmund, Chingford was constituted, formed out of the Parish of Chingford and a small detached part of Walthamstow. It comprised the locality of South Chingford that had grown up on the farmland below the brow of the Church Hill.
The district was raised to the status of a New Parish in 1939, and in 1997 was enlarged with the transfer of the Salisbury Hall area from the Parish of Saint John, Walthamstow.
European Parliamentary Constituency: London North East
Parliamentary Constituency: Chingford and Woodford Green.
Local Authority: London Borough of Waltham Forest.
Local Authority Wards: Larkswood, Valley.
69 Normanshire Drive
Tel: (020) 8523 7548
For Genealogical Enquiries the local Diocesan Record Office is:
Waltham Forest Archives
Vestry House Museum
(020) 8509 1917
For Parish enquiries please contact:
The Reverend Lesley Goldsmith (Vicar)
The Vicarage, Larkswood Road
(020) 8529 5226
Churches in our Parish