Richmond: St Mary, Richmond
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
There is documentary evidence of St Mary's in 1137. The bell tower and the font date from 1399. A list of Rectors from 1250 onwards is at the back of the church.
St Mary’s has a very welcoming congregation and is involved with other Christian communities in the town through the organisation, Christians Together in Richmond.
St Mary’s also has a strong musical tradition. In February 2016, Chris Denton took over the role of Organist and Director of Church Music from Colin Hicks who, for many years, gave inspirational service and development . The choir sings regularly at the weekly 10,00am service and the monthly Choral Evensong.
The Harrison and Harrison organ is considered to be one of the finest parish church organs in the country.
The 16 oldest choir stalls were brought from nearby Easby Abby at the time of the dissolution in 1566 and have richly carved misericords.
'Ruth's Window', a beautiful stained glass window in remembrance of 18 year old Ruth Gedye, a St Mary's chorister and musician, was installed in the south aisle on 14 February 2008, the fourth anniversary of her death. The window was designed and made by Alan Davis of Whitby.
The 1399 belltower has eight bells and a dedicated band of ringers of all ages led by Susan Welch We ring to celebrate church services, special occasions and weddings. The coming year will see a complete refurbishment of the bells with a new peal of eight bells mounted in a stable steel frame which will ensure church bells continue to be heard in Richmond for the indefinite future. Our five bells of special historical interest will be displayed as part of an exhibition of ringing in Richmond through the ages. On practice nights – Tuesdays 7:30 pm - we welcome everyone, young or old who might be interested in ringing. Please note there will be no ringing between March and June 2017 during the time of refurbishment. For further details email richmondbells@Gmail.com
Civic Services and services for the Richmond Guilds (Fellmongers and Mercers & Haberdashers) are held every year.
St Mary's contains the Regimental Chapel of the 2nd Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment (The Green Howards). It has been adopted by The Queens Royal Lancers for their regimental services.
The church is open Monday-Saturday from 8am-5pm and on Sundays for the regular Church Services.
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
- Special Events
- Regular Services
- Other Events
The current editor is: Claire Murray