A short history of Saint Mary's Church
1087 In the Domesday book Archbishop Lanfranc is described as the owner of the Manor.
1093 Anselm, Archbishop of Canterbury, was owner of the Manor but occasionally resident..
1259 Peter de Lymoncien appointed Rector by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The carved Baptismal font dates from this period.
1408 Robert Burgeys Rector till 1421.
1456 Tomb of Walter Grene in the church.(North aisle). He was 8 times Member of Parliament, justice of the Peace for 2 long periods and Controller of Tonnage and Poundage in the Port of London. His second wife was the daughter of Robert Warner and owner of Cowley Peachey.
1534 Henry Gold, Vicar of Hayes, was martyred at Tyburn on 20 April with the Holy Maid of Kent.
1543 Thomas Cranmer became Archbishop of Canterbury. He gave the patronage of St Mary's church to Henry VIII!
1550 The Nave roof started to give 9 sides of a sixteen side structure.
1579 Tomb of Thomas Higate in the church.(South aisle)
1623 Robert Wright leaves Hayes and later becomes the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry.
1650 Patrick Young ejected from Rectory by Presbyterians or Independents because he would not digest their politics. He discovered the Epistle of St Clement which had been missing for 400 years. It is now in the British Museum.
1660 Oldest grave in the graveyard is the daughter of Richard Bixey 2nd June 1660.
1660 Edward Hudson made Rector by King Charles II
1727 Samuel Spence appointed Rector. He died in 1730 beneath the words, “He was not led by error into faction’s herds.”
1738 to 1756 Revd Charles Manning (Memorial bust on the South Wall) was Vicar and John and Charles Wesley preached at the church.
1793 First two bells cast by Thomas Meares of London
1798 Another four bells cast to made a peal of 6.
1856 Henry Worsley appointed last Vicar who also be came Rector.
1860 to 1872 William Randall (Memorial Plaque in the sanctuary) appointed who started the restoration under Gilbert Scott.
1872 to 1908 John Godding completed major part of the restoration project.
1908 to 1935 Ernest Hudson was Rector and stabilised the parish in its traditions. The St George furnishing were given in memory of Father Godding. Father Hudson is mentioned in the Anselm Window in the North Wall.
1964 to 1973 The roof and tower became in need of urgent repair in the 1960s. The parish raised the money for this work. This included new timber of American oak was used for the south aisle and extensive repairs to the internal structures of the Nave roof. The first part of the restoration was the Belfry. The original 6 bells were recast at Whitechapel into a ring of eight. The metal was supplemented by scrap from the Sheffield Cathedral bells which had also just been recast. The external walls were refurbished and a new supporting buttress added. This was during the Rectorships of Fathers Gorbold and Connock.
Now the walls and roof are in need of further restoration.