About the building
Given that the real Church is the people who gather for worship ... we do have a beautiful building to meet in. Here are some basic bits of information:
Originally mediaeval, rebuilt in 17th century & extended 1875; further extended in 2004.
extended in 1875 by T G Jackson; in 2004 by Maxwell New FRIBA ACIArb
Listing: grade 2
The church is of Saxon origin and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The old flint walls of the chancel were repaired in 1611 and the nave and the tower rebuilt in brick (the present Lady Chapel). A new nave,chancel and vestries were added in 1875. In 2004 the building was further extended by developing the Victorian vestries. This extension is of two floors and comprises new vestries, a kitchen, toilets, storage space, a committee room and two large meeting rooms. It also includes a conservation style landscaping scheme for the churchyard. In 2005 the ancient yews in the churchyard were cut back sharply to help them achieve a more pleasing flame shape.
That's the building...
Now about the real Church:
We try, in the name of Christ, to be a welcoming and inclusive Church. We hope that everyone will find in the St John's community a place of healing, peace and restoration regardless of their age, race, marital status or sexual orientation.
We also try to be a Parish Church to the community of east Worcester Park and New Malden up to the A3. We are available to anyone in the parish regardless of their religion. We have an open baptism policy; we marry people who have been divorced; we are ready to be of service when someone has died, either conducting the funeral or giving pastoral care.
Our worship is colourful and draws on both traditional and contemporary aspects of catholic liturgy. Our theology is liberal and seeks to be radical.