Swaffham: St Peter & St Paul, Swaffham
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
Welcome to St Peter and St Paul Church, one of over fifty in the Norwich Diocese dedicated to these two saints.
We're in the centre of Swaffham just a few yards from its busy market place and the church’s doors are open every day to welcome visitors. During the summer stewards will be on duty to show you round and you can be assured of a warm welcome. On Saturday mornings you can enjoy a cup of coffee or tea with delicious home-made cakes. Pop in and experience this haven of peace.
Here are some of the reasons for a visit.
- One of Norfolk’s finest mediaeval churches largely Perpendicular style
- Present building dates from 1454 - on site of earlier church (at least 13th century)
- Magnificent original oak hammerbeam roof with 192 angels carved in chestnut
- Beautiful Victorian carvings of apostles and of John Chapman, former churchwarden and The Pedlar of Swaffham
- Important windows by William Morris and William Wailes
- Tomb of John Botewright, Chaplain to Henry VI and Master of Corpus Christi College, who funded the rebuilding of the church in 1454
- Memorial to Oliver Cromwell’s maternal grandmother Catherine Steward
- Grave of Admiral of the Fleet SIR ARTHUR KNYVET WILSON, BART., V.C., G.C.B., O.M., G.C.V.O – in east graveyard
We look forward to meeting you.
Please visit our website www.swaffhamparishchurch.org
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
White Cross Road
- Regular Services
Wheelchair accessible toilets
(Hymn Books / Orders of Service etc.)
Assistance dogs (eg guide dogs, hearing dogs, dogs for the disabled) welcome
Lent Study Groups plus weekly Bible Study Group
|9am - 4pm in summer months9am - 3pm in winter monthsSaturday morning tea, coffee and cake 9am - Midday.|
The current editor is: Ian Robinson