Topcliffe: St Columba, Topcliffe
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
From its dedication and its location in the north of England, the church is believed to have been founded by a disciple of St Columba, such as Aidan, Finian or Colman, during their Conversion of the North, well prior to the Danish invasion of Yorkshire in AD 794. No certain evidence exists of the pre-Conquest building - which may have been destroyed at the hands of the Danes - except possibly a Celtic wheel-head cross in the possession of the modem church thought to have belonged to a (?stone) church built here in late Saxon times.
AD 1067: William Percy, of the family eventually becoming Dukes of Northumberland, received lordship of the manor of Topcliffe. The motte and bailey of an early Percy castle (“soon after 1071”, says Pevsner) is clearly visible at Maiden’s Bower, about half a mile from the church, together with a later moated manor platform and its enclosure;
AD 1085-7: The Domesday survey records Topcliffe church as having two priests;
AD 1162: The church was given by the third Baron Percy to St Peter’s Cathedral in York;
AD 1258: a vicarage for a perpetual vicar was established by the Archbishop of York;
AD 1499: a chantry for St Mary the Virgin was founded in the church. By the suppression of Chantries in 1547, there were six chantries in the parish, of which one was in the churchyard, also to St Mary the Virgin, and two were in the church.
In AD 1362, York Minster Fabric Rolls record a church “recently built’, which endorses Pevsner’s “early 14th century” date for the mediaeval church of which a small portion exists today. Certainly, the style of the remaining mediaeval stonework is decorated
We can't display parish boundaries on this page at the moment. View the map with boundary in Google Maps
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
Rev. Susanne Jukes
Tel: 01845 578513
- Regular Services
The current editor is: Stephen Yates