St Helen, Wheldrake

  • About Us
  • Find Us
  • Contact Us
  • Services and Events
  • Features and Facilities
  • More Info

Church website           www.wheldrakechurch.org.uk   -   for details of services and activities (click under 'Other links' on the right of this page)

 

Our Church is different from many that you will visit. The main part was built in 1778-9; only the tower is medieval and nothing remains of the Church of Conquest days. The 14th century tower represented by the smaller stones, was rebuilt in the 15th century, much larger blocks were used; the tower doorway and windows have later medieval flattened arches. Some show masons’ marks; they have not been linked with marks elsewhere. Village tradition is that the former
Church was burned down; the written record says that the Church had become ruinous. May our Church never again become like that! Basically, the main part of the Church is a large Georgian room with an apse at the eastern end. When first built the windows were multi-paned and wooden framed – the vestry window, visible outside in the NW corner, shows this style. Box pews, some of them private to the more prosperous village families, ranged down N and S walls, with a double row down the middle; there was a gallery over the tower end. The pulpit was between the middle windows of the N wall. The medieval (?1300) font was replaced by one of a slender Georgian style, which is now in the garden of the nursing home next door. For two hundred years the medieval font was a pump trough for a cottage in Main Street. It has now been returned to the Church. Many medieval stones are to be seen in gardens and on village roadsides. One stone is built into the SE corner of the Churchyard wall. Village musicians played in the Church; Churchwarden’ accounts mention ”strings, hoyboy and basehound”. In 1854 an organ was in use and in 1874, when the Church was improved to Victorian Gothick taste of the time, another organ was bought by public subscription. The Georgian font was removed and was replaced by the present one, the windows were reglazed with leaded lights in green glass, the gallery removed and the box pews replaced by the present seats. Some further additions about 1910 include the pulpit and altar furnishings, which are made by “Mousie” Thompson of Kilburn. The 1874 windows were replaced in 1973-76, again by public subscription, with clear glass, more akin to the spirit of the old building, and the interior was repainted in 1994 with creams to make it warm and bright.  For more information go to the church website www.wheldrakechurch.org.uk

Parish boundary view Bird's eye view

This space is for a Google Map.

You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.

This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
  • Your browser does not support Javascript;
  • You have turned Javascript off
In addition we are aware of some problems with Internet Explorer which are currently being worked on. Firefox and Chrome show the map correctly.
PAUL BOTTING
To see services follow this link to the
Church website www.wheldrakechurch.org.uk

Send an Email

  • Regular Services
  • Other Events
Printer friendly list of events
Printer friendly list of events
5 churches united Holy Communion at Sutton, with prayer for healing
We join to worship with our brothers and sisters from all our churches in the Derwent Ings benefice, at Sutton Church. Includes optional prayer for healing and wholenessFollowed by refreshments.
Sunday 30th April 2017 at 10:30 AM for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Holy Communion
Sunday 7th May 2017 at 10:30 AM for 1 hour
Refreshments Common Worship
Evening Prayer
uses the Book of Common Prayer
Sunday 7th May 2017 at 6:30 PM for ¾ hour
Book of Common Prayer
Morning Prayer
Sunday 14th May 2017 at 10:30 AM for 1 hour
Refreshments Common Worship
Church Fete
Stalls, games, refreshments, a great village time
Saturday 20th May 2017 at 2:00 PM for 2 hours
Refreshments Common Worship
Holy Communion
Sunday 21st May 2017 at 8:00 AM for ½ hour
Book of Common Prayer
Rogation Sunday service at Yew Tree Farm, Thorganby
Children's craft activities and food from 10 am, followed by an informal service at 10.30 for all ages, and more refreshments. Yew Tree Farm is on Main Street, towards the south end of the village. This service is shared with Wheldrake Church.
Sunday 21st May 2017 at 10:30 AM for 1½ hours
Refreshments Common Worship
Chill-out Church
Informal, cafe-style worship in a modern style, for secondary age and adults. Refreshments.
Sunday 21st May 2017 at 4:00 PM for 1 hour
Refreshments Common Worship
5 churches united Holy Communion at Elvington
We join to worship with our brothers and sisters from all our churches in the Derwent Ings benefice, at Sutton Church. Includes a child baptism. Followed by refreshments.
Sunday 28th May 2017 at 10:30 AM for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Features

Toilets

(Hymn Books / Orders of Service etc.)

Assistance dogs (eg guide dogs, hearing dogs, dogs for the disabled) welcome
Organ

 
     
Guidebooks
Church Open Church open from 9.00am - 6.30pm daily. Hymn tunes on the bells each night at 6.30pm
Audio-Visual
Hall for Hire Church Cottage £4 per hour Contact 01904 448300 Other rates apply for personal money making events.
Other information
A Church Near You ID (venue number): 18918
Built: rebuilt 1779
Style of worship: Evangelical
Our Patron: Archbishop of York, Sir Mervyn Dunnington-Jefferson and Col. John Darlington jointly
Archdeaconry: YORK (431)
Deanery: DERWENT (43105)
Benefice: Derwent Ings (43/090BX)
Parish Legal Name: Wheldrake (430099 )
CofE Church Info: (643099 43/99)
Short URL: acny.uk/18918/
QR Code:

The current editor is: Paul Botting

This page was last updated on Friday 14th April 2017
 
 
 
St Helen : Church Lane, Wheldrake, North Yorkshire, YO19 6AA

Our Other Churches

Other Links

Our Web Site

About the Parish

Update this church