Church of England Diocese of Bath & Wells Compton Dando

Opening


Church yard is open

BS394NW


Getting here

The Church of St Leonard is an Anglican parish church in ChelwoodSomerset, England. It was built in the 14th century and has been designated as a Grade II* listed building.

Church of St Leonard Location ChelwoodSomerset, England Coordinates 51°21′46″N 2°31′38″W  

Listed Building – Grade II*

Designated 21 September 1960[1] Reference no. 1320735  

Location of Church of St Leonard in Somerset

The church was largely rebuilt during restoration around 1860.

The font is Norman with tiny volutes at the edges and a top frieze of something like lambrequin. These have been described as the remains of locking staples used to prevent witches stealing the holy water. The stained glass has various 16th-century Flemish bits in the south aisle window.

The two stage west tower contains a bell dating from 1773 and made by Abraham Bilbie.

The church is floodlit from dusk to dawn. 


.

 

 

A368
Chelwood
Bristol
BS394NW

If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below