The present grade II listed building was built in 1876 by J P Pritchett and stands on the site of much earlier buildings, decorated and inscribed stones of which are incorporated in the inside walls of the tower. There are signs of a mediaeval village nearby. There is also a church hall in the centre of the village which is available for hire for groups, meetings, functions etc
Great Stainton is a small hamlet with a population of just 125, and a committed Christian community. Most are engaged in or connected with farming.
All Saints is part of a group of five churches now working together as a single parish. The group also includes St Peter Bishopton, St Cuthbert Redmarshall, St John the Divine Stillington, and St James Grindon, all within Stockton deanery.