Churchwardens Report for Holy Trinity Poynings 18.7.2021
The Church is now open for Prayer and Reflection, notice boards have been updated:
● Contact details
● Current Sunday Service arrangements
Quinquennial and general maintenance
● Friends of Holy Trinity have organised a 2 weekly cleaning rota, flower arrangers are in place thanks to Nickie Cutress and Leanne Edmonds. There is a rota to check the church daily for insurance purposes. We are grateful to the friends who help keep our churchyard and the surrounding area clean and tidy
● Tree work has been completed, along the bank between Poynings House and the Church. Paid for by Mid Sussex
● The Hurst College Community day(18.6.20210 was cancelled because of the weather, they are going to come fortnightly from September on a Tuesday afternoon alternating with Newtimber. In the main they will be helping us keep on top of the Churchyard.
● Helme & Hallett on behalf of Mid Sx District Council have completed work on the wall around the North West Steps and the path from the road.
● WT Chapman Window Cleaners are unable to clean the window
● Nigs and Anna continue to sort through various cupboards, a visit to the tip and some other items have gone to good homes, we have agreed with the other 3 churches to have a central list and storage place of items such as glasses.
● Update for changes to the Heating System and reviewed quote for electrical work:
1. To disconnect and remove the 10 overhead heaters
2. To disconnect and remove the under seat heating
3. To carry out relevant electrical work that will bring the installation up to current standards
4. To purchase pew seat heated runners
Costs connected to points 1,2,3 is £4,700 + VAT, down from £9,700
Cost to purchase and install the new heated pew seats £9,501. Running costs for these would be 27p per hour.
When the overhead heaters have been removed we would try and sell them.
We are in the process of applying for a Faculty to do the above work.
● Thanks to all who joined us and for the refreshments provided at Edburton and Pyecombe. It would be good if we could make this an annual event and hopefully it will grow.
● A visitor to our Church has pointed out that the church has signs of Graffiti - this is a reminder of the number of people who visit our Church and find it not just a quiet place to pray and reflect but to also explore it’s history, as a result of this find the visitor came on our Parish Walk and is enthusiastic about sharing her knowledge and running some story evenings in any of our churches.
Dates to note
● Poynings are holding a family Fun Day on Bank Holiday Monday (August 30th ) from 2 -4 pm in the Rectory Garden - this will be predominantly for Poynings residents
● The Poynings Cricket Club are holding their Annual Presidents game on Sunday 12th September.
Making our Church a living Space
● Nigs and I are exploring ways we can encourage folk to use and enjoy the church, for music, meetings and catch up… Anna Brookes and Nigs Digby 18.7.21