A history of the churchAt the entrance to the churchyard, the C16th wall has been lowered. The original entrance was much wider, but was reduced in the C19th, so the story goes, because the local landlord would drive his carriage up to the porch and leave it there during the service. The Vicar objected and had the opening narrowed.
The finely proportioned church is largely C13th, though there are some earlier & later features. The round tower is Saxo Norman, with an octagonal top added at a later date (probably C15th). The north doorway is late C12th and, on the south side of the chancel, there is a particularly fine priest's doorway (also late C12th) with beautiful exterior decoration. The clerestory is considered to date from the C15th or slightly later.
The massive south door has ancient ironwork, a large wooden lock & a sliding bolt. There is also a peephole in the door, which gives a good view of the path outside.
Inside the bell chamber, supported by an oak A frame, are five bells. The oldest tuned in B and weighing 7cwt was struck by John Aleyn in about 1520. Sadly the bells can no longer be rung as the A frame is not strong enough to support their momentum.