Very little is known about the War Memorial near to the Grounds of All Saints Church, Shrub End Road, Colchester, but a bit of research has been done and from information found, this is what can be revealed.
Quoting from the book – “Stanway c1900 to c1920 by Christina Edwards, it tells that the Stanway inhabitants who lived in the ecclesiastical parish of All Saints also wished to commemorate the men who had been lost to their community. A War Memorial was erected near All Saints Church. It is made of concrete with an inset marble slab on which the names of seventeen of the fallen are carved. There were no additions made to commemorate those who fell in the Second World War.
As the All Saints Parish served portions of Lexden as well as Stanway, the men included in this work are those who lived in or had close family connections with Stanway. Sadly the memorial is in a poor state of repair. It was raised by public subscriptions but unlike St Albright’s, it does not seem to fall within the remit of any designated body to undertake repairs. The late Alf Woodrow, a lifelong local resident, who had two relatives commemorated on the Memorial, undertook some minor repair work himself a few years ago, but since then nothing further has been done. Sadly Mr Woodrow passed away in August 2003.
The congregation of All Saints Church undertakes a Remembrance Service at this site each year on Remembrance Sunday.
Those commemorate on it include –
27108 private second battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action on 17th May 1918 – aged 31.
Samuel was the son of Abraham and Elizabeth Balls who lived at what is now the site of Glendoll but was previously a pair of boarded cottages owned by Edward Ponder. Abraham Balls who was not clear whether he was born at Fordham or Wakes Colne, was a 48 year old horseman in 1901. His 50 year old wife was a Stanway born tailoress. The couple had four children at home in that year. Samuel then 14, an agricultural labourer; Arthur and Ernest both 10 and Florence aged 7. The couple also had an older son Mark born c1876 and a daughter Jane born c1879.
Abraham had died before 1911 when Elizabeth and sons Samuel and Arthur were still living at Stanway Green. Before the war, Samuel was employed as a gamekeeper to the Moys at the Stanway Hall. He enlisted at Colchester and fought first as Private 5256, Lincolnshire Regiment Having fought in France and Belgium, he was initially listed as missing on 17th May 1918.
His death on that date was later accepted and he is commemorated on the Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France and on the All Saints War Memorial. His brother Arthur and other members of the family continued to live on Stanway Green until recent times.
William Landels Folkard
2nd Lieutenant Royal Flying Corp accidently killed on 15th November 1918 – aged 25.
William Landels Browning Page Folkard was the son of William and Naomi (nee Page) Folkard. William Senior had been born at Heath Farm, Lexden on 2nd November 1864 but the family then moved to Walnut Tree Farm, Shrub End. He attended the Colchester Royal Grammar School, as did his eldest brother Montague and was then apprenticed to Mr H E Williams, ironmonger, in the Colchester High Street. The premises are now Fenwick (previously Williams and Griffin Department Store). After his apprenticeship, William Senior went to York where his brother Montague was living. It was there that he met Naomi Page, daughter of corn merchant William Page. The couple married in a Methodist Chapel on 17th January 1893. By this time, William had started an ironmongery shop in Stowmarket and that was where their son, William Landels Browning Page Folkard was born.
Unfortunately Naomi died in childbirth on 1st November 1893. The motherless William Landels was sent to live with her grandparents, William and Emma (nee Landels), who were still at Walnut Tree Farm. They employed a local woman who lived in a now demolished house in King Harold Road to nurse and care for the baby. He spent his first four and five months in her care before his father remarried and he was sent to his new home in Eye in Suffolk, to be cared for by his stepmother Sarah.
William attended Eye Grammar School and then boarded at Culford School, Bury St Edmunds. When his education was completed, William returned to his grandparents at Walnut Tree Farm and began an apprenticeship as a Dispensing Chemist at Baker and Fairhead Chemist in Colchester High Street. After qualifying he went to work at the Military Hospital in Colchester. When the Great War started, he volunteered for service and went to France as a gas layer. He certainly saw service at Poperinghue for the Chaplin to the Forces there, which mentions his name in a book that he wrote about his experiences. Towards the end of the war, he was transferred to what was then the Royal Flying Corps as a navigator.
In the meantime his father and stepmother (nee Syrett) were living at Eye and prospering. Their ironmongery business had expanded to four shops and the couple also had another child, Naomi Madeline who had been born on 9th March 1898. William Landels grandmother, Emma, had died in 1900 and his grandfather William in 1911 and the Walnut Tree Farm where they lived was put up for sale by the then owners, the Errington family.
William Landells’ father bought the farm and rented it to his brother, Frank Folkard, who already lived at and farmed at The Green Farm in Copford. Frank’s son and William Landels’ cousin, Oliver Folkard farmed Walnut Tree Farm jointly with his father and appeared to have been living there when he appealed against his conscription in 1916 on the grounds that he was a seed expert.
William Landels survived the war but unfortunately there was then to be no happy ending. On 15th November 1918, just four days after the Armistice was signed, he was then killed in a plane crash on English soil. William Landels Browning Page Folkard was buried with his mother at Stowmarket Cemetery. In late 1919 his father sold all his Ironmongery shops and returned with his wife Sarah to his childhood home at Walnut Tree Farm, which he now of course owned. He died in 1930 and Sarah continued at the farm until her death in 1942. The couple’s only surviving child, Noami Madeline Folkard married William Wilde in 1934. The couple then went to live at Heathrow in Middlesex until 1944 when their farm was at six months’ notice compulsorily purchased for the airport. William and Naomi came to live at Walnut Tree Farm with their four children, William Landels, Mary, Elizabeth and James until that farm was compulsorily bought by the Colchester Borough Council in 1948 at a price of £100 per acre.
Although the war had officially ended when William Landels Folkard was killed, he was, like most of the other men who had served in the Great War, still on active service. He is commemorated on the War Memorial at Eye in Suffolk where his parents were living at the time of his death and also on the All Saints Memorial. It seems very reasonable to suppose that his father and stepmother, who had returned to what was then still Stanway, combined the family’s long historical association with the parish, had requested his name be included on the All Saints War Memorial. However present family members understand that it was the nurse, who cared for him in those early years after the death of his mother who requested that his name be inscribed on the All Saints Memorial. On the marble wall monument in the porch at All Saints, he is commemorated as W L Folkard and on the memorial itself as L Folkard.
There were two Arthur Harringtons which caused confusion; one was the son of George and Ann Harrington who both came from Bures in Suffolk. George worked as a labourer and they had moved to Bottle End by 1874 when their eldest child, Frederick, was born. Other children were Ella, George, William, Frank baptised at All Saints on 28th May 1882 and Arthur who was baptised at All Saints on 25th May 1884. Arthur was only seven months old when his father George died in December 1884. The following year, Frank’s mother Anne was remarried to widower Charles Edward Death and had several children including Charles, Ella, Ada and George. Fordham born Charles Death worked as an engine driver and the family lived in Chapel Road, Shrub End, and now King Harold Road.
Arthur’s brother Frederick died on 19th July 1900 aged 27 – leaving one child, a son named Frederick William. By 1901, Arthur and two of his surviving brothers, George and William were working in a clothing factory. Brother Frank married Ellen Maud (nee Woods) at All Saints church on 3rd August 1903 when he was 21. Two years later he was appearing at the Colchester Magistrates Court for disorderly conduct and refusing to quit the Leather Bottle Inn when asked by the landlord, Ambrose Meakin. He had by all accounts thrown an oil lamp onto the fire and used some colourful language. Ernest Berry, milkman, maintained that the lamp incident had been an accident and that the landlord was overstating the damage done. The lamp charge was dismissed but Frank was fined five shillings and seven shillings and five pennies costs for bad language.
Arthur enlisted and served as 34192 private, First battalion in the Essex Regiment, having previously served as 2694 in the Essex Yeomanry. He was posted to France and Belgium. Arthur had married and he seemed to have moved from Shrub End to Colchester before the war. He was reported as missing on 14th April 1917. A newspaper report gave his address as 47 Wickham Road, Colchester. His wife wrote that she would be glad to receive any news of him. A report in August confirmed his death as killed in action on the date that he went missing. He was aged 33. Arthur was commemorated on the Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France and All Saints War Memorial. After the war, Arthur’s widow remarried and became Mrs A G Rowlinson living at 22 Sherwood Court, Colyhurst in Manchester. His mother’s post war address was Chapel Road now King Harold Road.
George Edward Kettle
42406 private, 2nd battalion Suffolk Regiment (originally served with the Essex Regiment) - died of wounds on 6th September 1919 – aged 32
George was the son of Francis and Emma Jane Kettle who resided at Kingsford Cottage, Layer Road, and then part of Stanway. Francis had been born c1847 in Colchester and worked as a garden for the Egerton Green family and then the Digbys at Kingsford, although he had retired by 1916. He was a founder committee member of the Lexden and Stanway Cottager’s’ Horticultural Society. His wife had also been born in Colchester c1849. In 1901 there was an older son Francis Henry at home, then 22 and baptised at All Saints Church in 1878 who was working as a gardener and a younger son, John then 12. George was 14 and had been baptised at All Saints Church on 10th April 1887. A sister Laura was aged 18 in 1901 and was working as a school teacher.
An older daughter, Louise Jane had married the Egerton Green’s coachman Arthur Sharp at All Saints Church in 1900 when the couple were both 27. Arthur lived in rooms above the stables at Kingsford. His mother, Emma Jane, died at the age of 60 in 1909. George joined the army in November 1915 at the age of 28 and served with the Essex Regiment.
He was severely wounded in September 1916. After his recovery he was drafted into the 2nd Suffolk Regiment and received a severe stomach wound at La Base on 1st June 1918. He never recovered from the second wound and died in the Essex County Hospital on 6th September 1919 after a long and painful struggle. He was buried in All Saints churchyard with full military honours. The band of Prince of Wales volunteers, South Lancashire Regiment played at his funeral and provided the gun salute. A large number of family and friends attended including his fiancée. He is commemorated on the All Saints War Memorial.
He came from 19 Bottle End, Shrub End and was the youngest son of widow Emma Rout. He left All Saints School on 12th May 1905. He served as a bombardier in the Royal Garrison Artillery for two years nine months. Having survived the war, on his arrival back from France, on 12th February 1919, he was taken ill. Robert was admitted Fulham Palace Road Hospital suffering from influenza. He passed away on 21st February 1919 of Influenza, Bronchitis and Pneumonia. On 28th February, he was buried with military honours at All Saints where he is commemorated on the War Memorial.
19153 private in 11th battalion of the Essex Regiment – cause of death unknown on 22nd March 1918 – aged 18
Alfred was the son of Henry and Annie Sargeant who in 1901 were living in Lamberts Farm, Gosbecks Road. Henry was 48 year old farm labourer who had been born at Bottle End. Annie had come from Yarmouth and was 40 years old. The couple had eight children in 1901 Arthur 20, farm labourer, Henry 18, farm labourer, Walter 15, who was working as a shepherd’s lad, Harriett 13, William 9, Charles 5, Alfred 2 and George 10 months. Alfred was admitted to All Saints School in 1905 and he was enlisted at Colchester and served in France and Flanders. He is commemorated on the All Saints War Memorial.
5243 private, first battalion of York and Lancashire Regiment – died of wounds on 3rd June 1915 (burial 7th June) – aged 35
Walter was the son of George and Matilda Sargeant. He was baptised at All Saints Church in 1880. A brother, William George, was baptised at All Saints in 1873 and another, Horace Edward, in 1880. George worked as a labourer. On 15th February 1914, 34 years old Walter had married 21 year old Annie Eileen Bailey at All Saints Church. Walter enlisted at Colchester but did not see overseas service. He died in the 4th London General Hospital, RAMC (T) Denmark Hill, London. He was buried in the North East part of the All Saints churchyard and is commemorated on the All Saints War Memorial.
George and William John Woodrow
George – C/6602 Rifleman 18th Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps – cause of death – unknown on 10th October 1916 – aged 31 and William John – 38298 private 2nd battalion of the Essex Regiment – killed in action on 2nd September 1918 – aged 19
George and William John Woodrow were uncle and nephew. George was the son of John Woodrow, a Norfolk born shoemaker who had made his home in Lexden by 1875 when he and his Lexden born wife Ziplha baptised their daughter Hannah Jane. By 1877 the couple had moved to Stanway where John Thomas was baptised in 1877 followed by Zilpha Lillian. In 1881, the family were residing in Straight Road in Lexden and John Woodrow Senior was employing one man and one boy. In 1885 George was born followed by another son Jabez. By 1890 the family had moved from Lexden to Stanway and resided at Dulverton Cottages in Warren Lane.
The following year was to be a tragic one. In early May 1891 Jabez died and was buried at St Albright’s. A week later John’s wife was buried at the church and three months later a 3 month old daughter, Alice, lost her life. When the census was taken that year, the recently widowed John was still at Dulverton Cottages with his 16 year old daughter Hannah Jane as his housekeeper, John Thomas then 14, an apprentice shoemaker along with Lillian 12 and George 6 who were at school. By 1900 John had moved to London Road in Stanway and in the following year had remarried to Martha and was living in Lottery Alley (near Vineyard Street in Colchester). Son George was by then 16 and a boot maker. George was an early casualty of the war dying in 1916. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France and All Saints War Memorial. Meanwhile son John Thomas (known as Thomas) had married Annie E, daughter of a shoemaker from Messing and moved to Shrub End. In 1901 when he was aged 24, John Thomas and his wife had two sons, William John aged 2 and Walter James aged 11 months. In all they had 11 children.
Another son Alfred born in 1914, who lived in Shrub End until his death in 2003, said that his father then worked as a horse-drawn taxi cab driver and the family lived at a cottage at 16 Shrub End Road. Certainly John Thomas was living at Shrub End in 1909 when he was prosecuted for being drunk in charge of his horse drawn cab in the Colchester High Street. In his defence he said that he had not drunk for some time, nor had he eaten, so the alcohol had a much greater effect on him than he anticipated. He was then he said, capable of recognising people and counting his fare money. He was let off very lightly, though, as he had a good record, a sick wife and six children.
William John and James Woodrow were at All Saints School in 1906, James being admitted on 9th January 1905, when they both succumbed to measles. Up to that point they had a full attendance and punctuality record for the year. Charles Woodrow was admitted to the school later the same year.
William John having left All Saints School on 14th July 1912 joined the Essex Cyclists in Colchester in 1915 but was then discharged as he was underage. He rejoined at 17 in September 1916 and was sent to France in March 1918 serving in both France and Belgium. He was killed in action at Eterpingy and is commemorated at the Drury Crucifix Cemetery, France and on the All Saints War Memorial. Another brother served with the Middlesex Regiment. By the time of William John’s death, John and Annie had moved back to Stanway and were living at Stanway Green which of course was within the All Saints, Stanway parish. Annie had an unfortunate accident at a neighbour’s house on the Green in 1921 falling and fracturing her leg as she took her leave. Both John’s brother, George and his son, William John, are commemorated on the All Saints War Memorial. A few years ago, William John’s brother Alf, expressed his concern at the state of the war memorial, for which no one seems to be responsible and, although in his eighties, undertook some cleaning and minor repairs himself. Alf has since passed away.