Settle Holy Ascension was built in 1838 without chancel; its orientation almost north/south, so that the liturgical east faces almost due south, a factor relevant to the condition of the sanctuary window which is the subject of this report. Within a decade the church had been extended to the south, to provide a shallow sanctuary, with stained glass to the four principal lights signed and dated by Michael O' Connor 1847, (commemorative date 1844). It is probable that the incumbent at the time of the modification of the building and the installation of this window was aware of the west window of the recently dedicated St Saviour's, Leeds c.1845, also by O' Connor, with its similar treatment of the Crucifixion subject which had gained it some notoriety; the design originally incorporated angels with chalices collecting the drops of blood depicted on the blue ground of the Crucifixion. The central lights of this window contain dense iconographic details.
A further modification was made to this wall in 1867 when 'a circular window was inserted above chancel east'. From its appearance, the inner octofoil opening could have been inserted into what, in 1847, was a blind oculus. Stylistically, and on technical grounds, the glazing can be attributed to the Birmingham workshop of John Hardman who had installed a window at the church in 1861.
Other glazing includes stained glass of 1861 and later by John Hardman, and later glass by Wailes, Morris and Co., and Abbot of Lancaster.
With thanks to J & R Cooke December 2017, Stained Glass Conservators, December 2017