Until 1838 Settle had no church of its own as the town was part of the ancient Parish of Giggleswick. The Church of St Alkelda in Giggleswick village served as the Parish Church for Giggleswick and Settle, ...and Langcliffe, ...and Stainforth, AND ...Rathmell which all lay within its parish.
At that time in England it was expected that most people would attend church on Sundays. With the population growing rapidly by the mid 1830s, the church in Giggleswick was becoming too small, even with its capacity of over 1000, and the need for additional places of workshop was urgent.
In 1836 a public meeting was held in the 'Golden Lion' in Settle to discuss proposals for the building of a church in Settle. Money was pledged, land was offered, and building of the new church became a reality.
Holy Ascension Church, Settle was consecrated on October 26th 1838 by the Bishop of Ripon. 180 years on we are celebrating the foundation of our church with a series of exhibitions, concerts, and events. Please visit our Facebook page to find out more.
( >> follow the Social link at the bottom of the navigation menu to the left of the screen).