This ancient church was consecrated in 1102, and has been the family church of the Delavals since that time (Baron Hastings is still Patron of the Parish). In 1891, the church was gifted to the newly formed Diocese of Newcastle, and became the parish church of the newly formed Parish of Delaval. The church was temporarily closed due to structural faults, but following a substantial grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, it was reopened and rededicated on Palm Sunday (25th March 2018) by the Rt. Revd. Christine Hardman, Lord Bishop of Newcastle.