Eco Church: Working together to Net Zero
Recently I joined an online conference for churches to learn how Eco church can help us cut carbon emissions and care for creation. The urgency from our changing climate shows us that we have the opportunity to make a difference if we just make a few changes to our lifestyles. There are two things we should do less of or try to avoid altogether – using fossil fuels and eating meat. As since the 1970’s these have caused 60% of habitats to be wiped out.
So, we all need to act, and Eco church can help us. What do you love about nature, and what about our world do you really care about?
The way the ‘West’ lives, is causing a problem by producing high carbon emissions while the poorer countries are living with these consequences, climate change. So, it is unjust; an issue of social justice. It is important that we recognise we need to change; we need to speak out and we need to do something.
What we are doing here within the Bildeston benefice?
I have started at St. Mary Magdalene church at Bildeston and I will be looking at all the parishes, seeing what they are doing and how they can each progress to become an Eco Church.
Bildeston church is on its way to its first award and these are a few of the things we have started doing -
1. We have set aside part of the old graveyard to grow freely, encouraging wildlife and we will be planting some wildflowers in the spring.
2. We are looking into reducing/offsetting our carbon footprint.
3. We are reducing our waste and buy ethically.
Next year, I hope to hold an ‘Eco Church’ open day for the whole benefice.
Here are a few ideas to enjoy a green Christmas
· Send e-cards / have a communal card at church and work / recycle your Christmas cards or use them for gift tags.
· Try to buy local, fairly traded, or second-hand presents
· Make your own presents and re-use wrapping paper
· Put your Christmas lights on a timer or have them on for a shorter time.
I hope these are useful and help us to grow greener together.
If you have any questions or are interested in joining our Eco church teams across the benefice, please phone or email me.
01449 744120 [email protected]