The Duke of Clarence Memorial Window is situated in the north gallery transept. It is a three light window dedicated to the memory of Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence KG, eldest son of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. The top half of the centre light depicts the Resurrection, below it the Raising of Lazarus (pictured) and the lights either side show the Raising of the Widow’s son and the Raising of Jarius’ daughter.
The window was designed by Mr F W Winter of London and was made by Messrs Sharp Bros of the Windsor Stained Glass Works, Sheet Street. Between the lights a dedication was painted on ribbon scrolls: In Memoriam Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales KT KP Duke of Clarence and Avondale Born 8 January 1864 Died 14 January 1892 “Thy will be done”. Sadly someone in the intervening years thought it a good idea to paint over the dedication and other decorative paintwork in the church (it is hoped that the dedication can be reinstated sometime in the future).
It was unveiled by King Edward VII, then Prince of Wales, on 12 August 1892 (just eight month’s after the Duke’s death) in a private service attended by the rector, curate, wardens, organist and presumably the HRH’s equerry (with whom he’d just arrived from London by train). Afterwards the Prince of Wales visited the Albert Memorial Chapel where his son is buried. The window was the first memorial to the Duke of Clarence and was erected from funds collected by the Revd Arthur Robins (Rector 1873-99) who was at the time Chaplain in Ordinary to Queen Victoria and Chaplain to the Prince of Wales. The window’s swift installation was perhaps due to the good relationship between Mr Robins and HRH, who would also have been a familiar sight to many parishioners as Holy Trinity was his preferred place of worship when in Windsor.