Following from Trinity Tour 4, Prince Albert, above is the trowel used to lay the foundation stone on 4 April 1842. It is silver with an ivory handle and, but for the raised edges on one side, could almost be taken for a cake slice. It was made by Charles Thomas Fox & George Fox in London in 1841/42 - the firm eventually folded in 1921 but its work is still held in high regard.
The trowel bears Prince Albert's Royal Coat of Arms with his personal motto below Treu Und Fest (loyal and sure). The inscription reads:
This Trowel was presented to His Royal Highness Prince Albert. KG, GCB, KP & c.
For the purpose of laying the First Stone of the Holy Trinity Church in the Borough of New Windsor,
on the 4th Day of April 1842.
By Messrs Bedborough & Jenner, Builders. Edwd Blore Esq, Architect
The location of the foundation stone is unknown but we hope to find it when the new Community Garden is built.
The Windsor & Eton Express of 9 April 1842 records:
According to custom some coins of the Queen's reign were placed under the stone. The coins were first placed in a glass provided for the purpose, which again was placed in an earthen pot, and the whole deposited in a receptacle made in the understone by Mr Jenner, one of the builders.
It should probably be mentioned that the trowel is kept in a secure location off-site.