The pulpit was gifted by the Scots Fusilier Guards (now the Scots Guards) in 1883 and replaced a wooden one. It is made of stone with carved faces depicting the Crucifixion, Ascension and Resurrection.
The brass plaque placed at the base on the south facing side reads:
To the Glory of God and in memory of Lt Colonel Sussex Vane Stephenson who died on 28th June 1872 when serving on the Staff in India and Captain Cecil Haffenden Hall who died in the 30th August 1874. Erected by their brother Officers of the Scots Fusilier Guards
The Imperial War Museum also has a record of a “seat” at the Guard’s Chapel in London in memory of Lt Col Sussex Vane Stephenson and notes that he was Military Secretary to the Commander-in-Chief of the Bombay Army when he died of cholera at Poona (Pune), aged 38. This memorial was lost when the chapel was bombed in 1944.
Not much more is known of Captain Haffenden Hall except that he is buried, with his wife, in the churchyard of St John of Beverley, Whatton in the Vale, Nottinghamshire.