St Peter & St Paul, North Curry
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
For more information and details of all services and events please see the church's website http://www.northcurrychurch.co.uk
Now part of the Benefice of Athelney – along with the parishes of Stoke St Gregory, Lyng and Burrowbridge - North Curry’s Parish Church is frequently referred to as “The Cathedral of the Moors”. It was built on a site of an earlier Norman church in about 1300 in the Decorated style, using Ham Hill stone, blue lias, and some grey sandstone from a quarry within the parish. About a hundred years later it was updated in the Perpendicular style when the roofs of the nave and aisles were raised to accommodate larger windows. Evidences of the original pitches can be seen both outside on the south and east faces of the tower and inside on its west arch. At this time the upper stage of the tower and the parapets were added, as was the interesting collection of gargoyles and hunkypunks.
The tower has 8 bells, the heaviest weighing around 17 cwt. Most of them date from 1811, but there were bells here for a long time before then – there are records going back to 1586. Originally the bells were rung from ground level inside the church, where the central altar is now located. Then in 1833 access was made from the outside, constructing the spiral turret staircase to reach a new ringing chamber located just below the belfry.
In 2013 the church installed 54 solar panels on its nave and south isle roofs to promote the benefits of renewable energy to the congregation and the wider community.
A more detailed history to accompany a tour of the church can be found inside the church entrance.
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
- Regular Services
- Other Events
The current editor is: Helen Griffiths