Church of England Diocese of Norwich Lyng

Opening

We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information

01603 879275

Getting here

ST. MARGARET'S CHURCH, LYNG

Grade II* listed.

The earliest stone church has stood on this site for 1,000 years, since the times of King Canute. The patron saint has changed three times in the last 400 years - originally St. Michael’s, it changed to St. Margaret’s in 1652, then became St.Clements during the 19th Century, reverting back to St. Margaret’s by 1906.
The porch is 15th Century, with its original door, as also are the Perpendicular windows in the nave, while the font is 13th Century. The church was greatly restored early in the 20th Century with pinnacles on the tower and the buttresses changed from tapering to stepped. The chancel was enlarged too.
In 1991 the ringing gallery was built, making space for a proper vestry, confirming that throughout its history the church has been loved and cared for, and today's active congregation have just the same devotion. One of the Church’s most remarkable possessions is the 600 year old Lyng Pall or Altar Cloth which hangs in the Chancel.
The tower houses a fine set of 5 bells, and the team of local ringers meet each Friday and ring regularly at some services. Maintenance and upkeep of the bells is mostly financed by the generosity of the bell ring team.
The church is normally open during daylight hours.
 

Port Row
Lyng
Norwich
NR9 5RB

If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below