The church of St. Ethelbert's, Thurton sits on the hill above the village. It is open every day. There is a service on most Sundays to which all are welcome. Various activities take place during the week including Bible study & children's groups. We are part of a benefice of 5 churches giving the opportunity of shared events & a monthly joint worship service.
St. Ethelbert's is a grade 1 listed building built in the 12th century. It is of typical Norman design. By 1350 an extension eastwards created the chancel & the tower was added in the 16th century. At one time the walls were covered with decorative paintings & some of these have been revealed including a large picture of St. Christopher. Some interesting glass from sources old & new was installed in all the windows in 1826. There are 3 bells which have been restored to chime.
The church of St. Ethelbert is gratefull to the 'Friends of Thurton Church' who actively help to raise money for the restoration & upkeep of the church building. They organise events & social activities which people from the village & surrounding villages come & support & enjoy.
All are most welcome to our services & events. Please contact us if you would like to know more.