We are part of the Earsham Benefice
The parish church of All Saints stands close to the river Waveney, its shingle spire - added to the 14th-century tower some time about 1700 - attesting the presence of the village, and of God, in this part of the valley.
It has probably stood here since Norman times when, in 1086, the Doomsday Book recorded the water mill nearby. Before that, there may well have been a small timber building, and the knoll on which the church stands suggests that it could have been originally the site of a "preaching cross" where Christian people from a wider area would gather.
During the medieval period, in successive alterations the nave was lengthened, the tower and chancel were added, and finally the windows were greatly enlarged. Internally, the church (listed Grade I) is notable for the rare 16th century "twelve apostles" font (sadly defaced in Cromwell's purge) and a west gallery constructed for the musicians in about 1800 as well as a number of fine roundels of old Flemish glass engraved with biblical scenes - from demolition of an abbey in Belgium at that time.
There is a very good extension with kitchen facilities to give a place for meetings and courses such as Alpha as well as a place for the village groups to use such as the toddler group and village craft group. And, most importantly - it has a loo!
VISITING and DIRECTIONS
For anyone wishing to spend a time of quiet or visit the church, the building is kept unlocked everyday during daylight hours.
The church can be seen when entering the main part of the village, both from the bypass and from Bungay. It is on the junction where School Rd joins Church Rd, next to the Atlantic Country Stores. There is plenty of on-road parking and an extra carpark can be opened for larger services.
For Sat Nav's the postcode is NR35 2TQ.
We have services at 9:30am on the 2nd Sunday and on the 4th Sunday we have a Cafe Service at 10am in the School, starting with bacon butties & cheese toasties with craft followed by a contemporary service.
More information can be found on the benefice website:- www.earshambenefice.org.uk