St. Mary's is the Mother church of the parish of Redenhall cum Harleston and Wortwell - there may have been a church here c.1000-1100 and in the early 1300s the present chancel was built. Though old, St. Mary's is very much alive with its Friends and Bellringing Society.
When a new heating system was put in during the 19th Century, the lines of an earlier church were discovered beneath the nave arcades and chancel step, also clear evidence that it had had a round tower, possibly of Saxon or Norman date. In 1620 "The Mayflower" sailed for America,carrying the Pilgrim Fathers, including Thomas and Samuel Fuller of Redenhall. Today we welcome several Fuller descendants each year who come to trace their ancestors.
1842-3. The G.M.Holdich organ was erected on a gallery at the west end. For those who know of such things, this is worth a visit in itsself.
There is The GAWDY FAMILY CHAPEL (mid 1500s) with its triple squareheaded window and its own entrance with the tortoise badge of the Gawdys above.
Of great note is the double headed eagle brass lectern, thought to be one of only three in the country.
There is a church guide available detailing many more aspects of the church worth viewing.