We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
The church of St John the Evangelist is a bold structure, set off the road in a large and well-kept churchyard, comprising a large west tower and a nave of what was once a much larger cruciform church, sadly now lacking its transepts and chancel. In 1342 Edmund Gonville (co-founder of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge) founded and endowed a College for a Master and five priests here in Rushford, building a quadrangular college to the south of the church, parts of which still remain.
The present church has recently been lovingly restored by a small but hard-working community, including the rebuilding of the small Victorian apse, and is a regular and appealing venue for concerts. Its history, rural setting and its location in a very attractive village with its green and estate buildings makes this a memorable place to visit.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below