Little Massingham was separated from Great Massingham at the grand survey of 1087 so possibly our church was first built then though we believe it had Saxon roots. There are remains of a Norman window in the chancel. The C15 porch carries a quote from John 4,23, "The hour cometh and now is when worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth". The exterior S clerestory wall is made of lumps of red Hunstanton chalk. The poppy head pews have carvings of blackberries, hops, ivy, passion flowers, acorns, hips, haws and wheat. The notable Jekyll pulpit carries a Victorian version of a "green man".The First World War memorial is in particularly good taste. In the church yard one may find the Commonwealth War graves of airmen from the parish's 2nd World War Bomber Command airfield and two Celtic crosses to soldiers from the 14-18 war. The tower roof carries graffiti from the Napoleonic era. During 2006/7 the tower and north aisle leads have been renewed and some of the flint walls restored at a cost of £140K. Our thanks to English Heritage, Norfolk Churches Trust, and the Wolfson Foundation for all their help, and to the Almighty Father for answering our prayers.
Read and see more at our web site www.ggmbenefice.uk This shows all Service Times and a calendar of events.