Doctor Augustus Jessopp, Chaplain to King Edward VII, was Rector of Scarning from 1879 to 1911. He wrote several books about his life and times and recorded that in his day “Scarning comprised a few significant properties and about 50 hovels”.
Times have changed – Scarning is now home to around 3000 people – with a distinct lack of hovels. Geography
The parish of Scarning lies immediately to the west of the parish of Dereham. It comprises the old village around the church of St Peter and St Paul, several outlying hamlets and a large, modern estate on the Dereham boundary. Scarning VC Primary School is situated between the two parts of the parish. The school is thriving and has been developed over the last few years to accommodate 300+ children.