Although the existence of a Church in Buxton is recorded in the Domesday Book, the earliest dating we can give to the present building is some time in the 13th century - to which period the Sedilia and Piscina near the High Altar and the doorway to the North Porch belong. The present Nave Arcades, Chancel Arch and South Aisle would appear to date from the following century, as does the South Door Arch.
The 15th century saw the rebuilding of the North Aisle by the then vicar, Sir John Picto and the establishment of Chapels at the east end of both aisles, together with the erection of a Chancel Screen - later removed to its present position separating the choir from the (south) side chapel.
The 19th century saw major restoration under the auspices of the Rev Stracey-Clitheroe. In 1858 the Church was reseated for 350 persons. In 1875 the north porch was totally renewed and the South Porch extensively repaired. The Tower was also repaired in 1881-2, losing 30ft of height in the process, but gaining a clock and 'sound holes'.