We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information

01544 327440

Getting here

Welcome to St Mary's Church Almeley

In this Church we hold a wide variety of church services, some are traditional using the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, others are more modern. Some services are especially for children and young families, with a great variety of music, drama and other activities. We worship God and have fun and good fellowship together. We aim to be friendly and approachable and try to live and share the Christian life in this village.

We hold our normal service every Sunday at 11.00am on the first four Sundays in each month. On the fifth Sunday where there is one in a month we join with the other churches in the Eardisley Group.

We cannot say how long there has been a Christian church on this site. Apart from some re-used arch stones above the doors, which are of an earlier date, the oldest part of the church is the base of the West Tower, which was built about 1200.

The chancel was rebuilt at the end of the 13th century. It has a geometrical east window and a chancel arch supported on busts with another bust at the apex. In the chancel is a piscine of about 1300 and also a 14th century recess with a squint cut in the wall from the vestry.

The nave has arcades of four bays with octagonal columns and there are symmetrical north and south aisles. These were built about 1320-1330 in the episcopate of Bishop Orleton when many Herefordshire churches were rededicated. Apart from the tower therefore, the church belongs to the Decorated or Middle Pointed period. There is a rood loft staircase with the lower doorway in the north aisle. The two eastern bays of the nave roof have boarded ceiling painted in yellow, blue, black and red to imitate square moulded panels. There are bosses at each intersection and a Tudor rose in the middle of each panel. The nave roof is 16th century and has scissor trusses with curved braces.

Some 16th century carved oak panelling, possibly also taken from the dismantled gallery, has been incorporated in the front pews.The north door is perhaps 17th century.

Visit our parish website (shown on the right) for more details of services, and other information about our church and activities.



If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below