St Mary’s Church is geographically the central church of the eight parishes and one of the largest. The congregation varies from 30-45 from a population of approximately 550. The electoral roll stands at 45. We hold a Sung Eucharist on First and Second Sundays with High Mass on Third Sundays with a growing choir. With the help of our new choir we are currently developing a Sung Evensong on alternate 4th Sundays at 6pm. We have a mid-week communion on the first Wednesday of the month at 10.30am followed by coffee at The Hop Pocket Craft Centre Cafe.
Our worship is part of our outreach and services at most of the major festivals attract large numbers of worshippers. Our annual fund-raising activities also involve the wider community. The largest event is our summer fete which attracts visitors from the village and beyond.â
The Church of St. Mary is an architectural mix of Norman and Neo-Norman, the church dates back to the 12th century with the square tower, which holds a peal of 6 bells, being 14th century, the chancel dating from 1847 and the nave and north chapel from 1861. The architect was F.R.Kempson of Hereford.
The chuch is situated in the centre of the village and set back from the main road in a well maintained churchyard. The church is in excellent repair and includes some lovely features. The font is lead-lined Norman, one of only twenty in England. In a recess is a stone effigy of a man in a suit of mail dating from the late 13th century. He holds a sword and shield and his crossed legs rest on a lion. His habit is that of a Knight Templar.
The Lady Chapel was refurbished with materials from the now defunct Munderfield Chapel and is used for small services. There is a kitchen and a large seating area at the side of the church which is used for meetings and refreshments after services. The Friends of St Mary’s helps to finance repairs to the church.