The Parish Church in Bucknell is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and believed to have been first constructed in about 1140.
It is stone built, consisting of a chancel, a nave of three bays, north aisle, vestry, south porch and a western tower with a
wooden spire containing a clock and three bells. The church was extensively restored in 1869-70 in the Transitional style. The oldest artefact is the font which is believed to be Saxon or early Norman in origin. There is an arch in the sanctuary which was a mediaeval Easter Sepulchre.
In 2013/14 the church was renovated. A ground source heat pump was installed and the ceiling insulated. Pews were removed from the north aisle and a WC with disabled access and a kitchenette installed, plus a half glazed secondary door at the main entrance. For the first time in its long existence, the building is comfortable and warm winter and summer.
The regular congregation delights in welcoming visitors to all services and is very conscious of the
need to minister to the whole community. It gives strong support to the village C of E primary school. In February 2015 a Pop-In Café was started in the church. It is in operation every Wednesday from 10.30am to midday. 'Real' coffee and home made cake is available to all comers for a small cost.
St Mary's is one of seven churches in the Middle Marches Benefice. The others are St Mary's, Bedstone; St Mary's, Chapel Lawn; St Cuthbert's, Clungunford; St Edward's, Hopton Castle; St Mary's, Llanfair Waterdine; and St Michael's, Stowe.
Our Priest in Charge is Rev. Dr. Martin Quayle, who joined us in September 2021 in a part-time post.
Further information about our church as well as the other churches in the Benefice can be accessed through the individual pages.