Welcome to St Mary the Virgin, Burghill!
Our church is an open and embracing community which seeks to fulfil the great command to both love God and neighbour in the fullest possible sense. We are a community committed to live out our faith within our modern context which celebrates diversity and welcomes all. Our mission is to proclaim the good news that God uniquely reveals in the life of Jesus of Nazareth, that all are loved by God and bear His image. To echo the sentiments of William Temple, we exist primarily for the benefit of our non-members, as well as our own.
Our church dates from the 12th century though evidence exists of an earlier building apparent in the north wall of the chancel. During the 14th century the chancel was widened and a north chapel and vestry were added, The Church was entirely restored in 1824.
The building houses a very fine 15th century rood screen which was restored in 1897, an ancient figured metal font, a 15th century alabaster altar tomb to Sir John Milbourne and family, and some ancient brasses. One dates from 1619 and commemorates the death of Robert Masters, noting that he sailed with Thomas Cavendish on the second only circumnavigation of the globe in 1588.
The present tower, built in 1812 of local sandstone, replaced an older structure which collapsed in 1810. The pinnacles and battlements were built in 1953 to a design by the architect E.A Rosier. The font dating from 1180, was damaged by the 1810 collapse and eventually restored in 1881 by R. Morgan of Kington.
The tower has a ring of 8 bells, 5 of which were cast by Abraham Rudhall of Gloucester in 1704 and were augmented by 3 further bells in 1894 cast at the Whitechapel Foundry. The bells are considered some of the best in the diocese. The tower was restored in 2019.
The oak-timbered south porch dates from the early 16th century and was restored in 2020.
Our beautiful churchyard has an avenue of fine old yew trees.
The Church was well known to many famous people in history including Sir Edward Elgar and the poets Wordsworth, Coleridge and Shelley. It is now a Grade II* listed building.
We hope that you will visit to join us for a service
or simply to enjoy the tranquil surroundings.
Safeguarding & Data Protection
Liz Donovan Tel 01432 760881
Church of England Safeguarding Policy – adopted by the PCC August 2018
Rev Phill Brown Tel. 01432 761821 or the PCC Secretary Tel. 01432 760473, both of whom may also be contacted on email at [email protected]