St Bartholomew's Church, Docklow, is part of the Leominster Team Ministry.
Services and events, to which you would be most welcome.
We seek to share God's love with our community by belonging to and supporting village organisations as they help and support us. A regular Parish Meeting takes place to organise events such as the Jubilee Celebrations. We help to plan and celebrate special occasions such as weddings and baptisms, and help support people through bereavements. There is an Annual Fete, and Harvest and Carol Services in which the children take part. These, with several Coffee Mornings and a stall at the Victorian Christmas Market in Leominster, raise funds for the operation and maintenance of Church and grounds.
Services are held twice monthly, most being led by an Ordained Minister, but some by a Lay member of the congregation who also leads prayers at services. The attendance is about 10. The population of the Parish of Docklow and Hampton Wafre is less than 100 adults and some children, residing in about 50 households. The parish is comprised mainly of mixed farms and a poultry business. There are 3 agricultural support enterprises for the maintenance and repair of farm machinery, vehicles and tools. Tourism is also important for the Parish and includes several holiday cottages and B & B accommodation. There are 2 public houses, one being part of a coarse fishing establishment.
The Church of St Bartholomew is located on a prominent ridge that has been the site of religious meetings for over a 1000 years. The earliest part of the present structure dates from the 12th century, with further additions in the following century. There was a substanial rebuilding of the church, to conform to the style of Victorian Gothic, completed in 1880. Close to the porch of the church thre is the stone base to hold a wooden cross used by itinerant Saxon priests for outdoor services before the first church was built.
The churchyard was extended in 1702 and now covers about 1.5 acres, half of which is maintained as meadow cut only once or twice a year. As a part of the God's Acre Programme surveys of the whole churchyard have been completed to include the trees, grasses and other plants, lichens, mosses and fungi.
The clock on the tower was inaugurated on 11th November 1920 in memory of the 8 parishioners who died in the First World War.