St James' Llangua is part of the Ewyas Harold Group of Parishes.
Occasional events and services are held at St James' including poetry evenings and recitals. If you would like to use the church to host an event or would like more details of what's on please use the contact page.
The lovely little church of Llangua on the bank of the River Monnow is an important early Celtic Christian site. The name derives from the Llan, or Church, of Saint Ciwa/Kew, the original dedication. There was a 5th century Irish saint of this name but it is also thought that the Saint Kew found in Cornwall was actually born in Llangua in perhaps the 6th century.
In c 872 a charter [in the Book of Llandaff] records the church as having sanctuary rights. It stands beside a probable former, well-used trackway leading to the river crossing. In 1183 it became a small Priory cell of the Benedictine Abbey of Lire/Lyre in Normandy. In the late 13th century its mill provided one of the highest incomes of Monmouthshire mills. The surrounding field may preserve trace foundations of further buildings associated with its long history. The shaft and base of the medieval cross stand in the small churchyard. Much of the present church dates from the 14th century, with 17th century additions and later repairs.
In 1954-1955 it was sympathetically restored by Mr. Ivor Bulmer-Thomas in memory of his first wife. As she had loved the candle-light Services, the church continues to be lit only by candles. Among the points to note are a wooden figure of St James and a 14th century painted oak screen from Whitford in Devon. Although in Monmouthshire, Llangua is in the Church of England, Diocese of Hereford. The Guide on sale in the church provides further information.
The church is open to visitors by arrangement (churchwarden 01981 240242) and has open afternoons with refreshments on May Bank Holiday Mondays and the Sundays in the summer school holidays.
[Please note that nearby Llancillo is now closed, the parish being combined with Rowlestone. It had an older dedication that pre-dated the dedication to St Peter. It was called Lann Suluiu in the Book of Llandaff where a c.620 charter gave 200 acres to Bishop Ufelfyw. The importance of the site is perhaps the reason a motte-and-bailey stands so near. The Church chancel is late 11th or early 12th century. The cross base outside is medieval. The Church was repaired in the 17th and 19th centuries. Contact Llancillo Court if you wish to visit.]