We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
More Information: HISTORY
The church is built on the probable site of a Bronze Age Burial Ground. The remains of this barrow are represented by the high ground at the south west corner of the present graveyard.
A Norman church was built here about 1100 AD In stone, the nave was lengthened by about 10 feet in 1180 and the present South doorway built. A tower was added about 1250 AD. The present chancel replaced an earlier one in about 1280. The existing roof of the nave, and probably the chancel, date from about 1500, as did the rood loft of which only the striking rood beam remains. The vestry was added in l871, a single trefoil window North wall of the chancel being reset In the East wall of the vestry, and a 14th century window being reset in the West wall of the vestry (visible from the outside only).
In 1873/4 the nave and tower were rebuilt. New large windows were inserted into the nave, and the tower was raised. Two photographs taken prior to the reconstruction are on display at the back of the church. The porch dates from 1880. The ground outside was originally higher and one descended steps into the church.
Pipe Cum Lyde
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below