Services and Events to which you will always be most welcome.
Us and Community Life
The village of Pudleston, northeast of Leominster, is a rural community – a mix of scattered farms and homes, with the Church and Village Hall at its centre. We are an active village, encouraging a community spirit with events in the both the church and the Village Hall
We take pride in welcoming people to our church for weddings and baptisms, ensuring that they are memorable occasions. Everyone is welcome at services and to share God’s love. We hold an Annual Flower Festival in August which is popular and has a large following, it raises much needed funds to maintain the fabric of the church. Other regular fundraisers include a Bridge Day with a buffet lunch; ‘Poems from the Pews’; and a Harvest Festival, Supper and Auction.
There is a core of keen and friendly flower arrangers in the village who ensure that the Church looks stunning throughout the year – visitors often note in our visitors book how beautiful the church looks and how well maintained the churchyard is. Our flower arrangers are always pleased to welcome new members and like to encourage people of all abilities.
The village has a thriving Gardeners’ Club, who organise the yearly Village Show and all are welcome to participate in the fun. The Village Hall hosts a wide variety of interesting events, such as Supper Talks, Quiz nights, Barbecues, Music evenings and Flicks in the Sticks, it is also where the Pudleston Rainbows pack meet. The Annual Horse, Pony and Dog Show, held every September, is supported by the whole community. This was started over 29 years ago. The funds currently raised, support Cure Leukaemia and St. Peter’s Church. St. Peter’s has an excellent Church organ, It provides a wonderful musical back drop for Weddings, Christenings and other services. It was made and installed by William Hill and Son in 1914 and it was recently awarded a Grade 2* listing by the British Register of Pipe Organs because of its special interest.
A Brief History
St. Peter's Church is built of stone with walls of local sandstone rubble and dressings of the same material. The roofs are covered with stone slates and the spire is oak shingled, probably 14th century and was restored in 1892. The church was built in the Norman and early English styles, it has a Chancel, a Nave of three bays with clerestory aisles and a south Porch.
It is believed that the north and south Aisle windows were designed by Pugin and given in 1850/1. The stained glass in the Chancel at the east end is by Hardman of Birmingham, and designed by Mr Woodyer. It was installed in 1857 and below it is a beautifully carved Caen stone Reredos. The south wall of the Chancel has two 13th century lancets & 14th century twin cusped lancet windows. Other windows are 19th century. The West Tower, in spite of its early features, is perhaps not earlier than 1200. The Chancel was probably re-built in the 13th century with the south aisle added in 1857. The Nave and the North Aisle were re-built in 1813 and the Chancel restored in 1857.
There are 4 bells (dating from 1450 to 1673) with inscriptions, "Jesus, be our Speed"; "God Save His Church"; "Ora pro nobis" "Sante Petre" and "Amice Christo Johanne." The medieval oak bell frame was restored in 1996/7. In recent years we have been busy fundraising for 3 major restoration projects, all assisted by grants from English Heritage, The Heritage Lottery Fund and other bodies. The Church is now in generally good repair though we have an on going programme of fundraising to maintain this wonderful building for our community and the future. In 2018 we are fundraising to restore several of our beautiful stained- glass windows.